We thank Jesus that all over the world there are Christians willing to deeply sacrifice their time, resources, and lives for God's mission. They strategically share the Gospel message, foster resurrection life through long-term discipleship, and train God's church to raise up new leaders and servants. Here are some of our favorites.
- The CCDA is probably the single most helpful ministry in the United States for understanding the complexities of holistic ministries among the urban poor. Frankly, they are radicals who devote their lives to building God's kingdom at great personal cost. They are especially helpful for understanding ministry issues of ethnicity, poverty, discipleship, and empowerment, and evangelism. CCDA is a large affiliation, and are a mixed bag, theologically. They will almost certainly make you mad when you first listen to them, as they push on you. Keep going and you will grow! A great place to start with them is to read Restoring At-Risk Communities, by John Perkins, their founder.
- Mission: St. Louis is a great local non-profit ministry, devoted to discipleship and empowerment among the poor in St. Louis. Pastor James helped start this organization over several years, before planting The Resurrection. Mission St. Louis practices many of the same principles pioneered by CCDA (see above). We love these guys and gals.
- Covenant Seminary (St. Louis, MO) is where Pastor James attended seminary. Covenant is an amazing gift from God. This world-class school has assembled a great team of teachers and leaders, and offers a good portion of their theologically rich classes for free online. Anyone who's interested can enroll on their website as a online (non-degree) student, and work though audio and homework from their classes for free. Many resources from Covenant can will help you in pursuing God's mission to save the lost and restore what's been broken.
- Acts 29 is a worldwide cross-denominational network of church-planting churches. They have a great leadership team, great resources, and regularly host church planting events in the St. Louis area. Many excellent churches in our region are Acts 29 churches, and friends of the Resurrection.
- We also formally partnership with several really excellent missions organizations, particularly through our involvement with the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC). Be sure to check out the IMB, NAMB, and also the local church planting networks listed under Our Partnerships.
Here are some great books about God's mission, several of which are from the ministries listed above.